Position: Communications Director
Classification: Full Time/Exempt
To download a copy of the job description, click here.
About the Linked Learning Alliance
The Linked Learning Alliance (“the Alliance”) leads a movement to help every young person determine their own future through Linked Learning. It’s a proven approach to education that integrates rigorous academics with real-world learning and strong support services to prepare all students for success in college, career, and life. Our role is to advance research and practice, policy, and communication in support of Linked Learning for students and the field of K–12 districts, higher education institutions, and employers dedicated to establishing these accelerated, seamless learning experiences that lead to postsecondary success and high-opportunity careers.
The Director for Communications will play a key role in the strategy and execution of all field and public communications. This position will elevate the Linked Learning and Alliance brands and help design and execute communications strategies—including message and content development; outreach campaigns for educators and employers; storytelling; event planning; advocacy campaigns for policymakers; promotion of the certification platform used by Linked Learning sites to improve student outcomes; digital strategy (website, social channels, blogs, etc.); and media relations strategy.
In collaboration with the Vice President of Communications, this position will help the Alliance advance the organization’s strategic vision which is anchored in achieving equity and excellence for students across the U.S. through high-quality college and career preparation. It focuses on the growth of the Linked Learning field as well as organizational sustainability via expanded applications of Linked Learning in communities and districts throughout the country, public policies that are supportive and aligned to this approach, and public and donor commitment to college and career preparation for all young people.
- Supporting strategic message development and ensuring consistency of messaging
- Creating, or overseeing the creation of, compelling content that strengthens the Linked Learning brand and advances Alliance goals and strategies, drawing on a full range of sources and modes, including video materials, events, social media assets, and data visualizations
- Establishing and managing effective cross-team relationships with organization leadership, project leads, and others to identify marketing and communications goals that advance the Linked Learning Alliance’s mission, brand, and day-to-day work
- Conducting targeted outreach and messaging to employers, educators (K–12 district as well as postsecondary), and policymakers at the local, state, or national levels
- Overseeing the management of Linked Learning Alliance communication platforms (websites, social media, etc.)
- Identifying and pursuing earned media coverage of Linked Learning outcomes and stories of impact, including op-ed and story placements; maintaining relationships with reporters at educational and general news outlets
- Equipping and inspiring field members to be visible champions for Linked Learning—amplifying the Alliance communications efforts and building collective identity through active communication of Linked Learning by school districts, employers, educators, and others in locales across the nation
- Providing support for all components of event design, production, and execution, creating a fun, inspiring, and meaningful experience for participants at the Alliance’s annual conference, workshops, districtwide celebrations, and webinars
- A Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, business administration, education or other fields from a four-year college or university, or commensurate years of professional experience and demonstrated success
- Experience in various communications platforms (including social media, traditional print, digital, and interactive user experience) and how they can be combined and leveraged for marketing and communications strategies
- Minimum of five years of strategic communications experience, ideally in an organization working to advance educational or economic justice; significant experience with advocacy, policy, media relations, and field-building preferred
- Excellent writing and editing skills with the ability to communicate clearly and distill and streamline information
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SalesForce, MailChimp, GoTo Webinar, Canva, TypeForm, Zoom, Aventri, Adobe Photoshop, and other Adobe Creative Suite software is a plus
- Experience working remotely and with diverse teams
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, solid judgment and problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Effective, detail-oriented, versatile, and action-driven
- Terrific interpersonal, collaboration, and relationship-building skills
- Ability to work positively and collaboratively with team members at all levels
- Willingness to learn and a genuine interest in the core work of the Alliance
- A strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
Salary range is $90,000 to $105,000 and will be determined commensurate with experience.
The position will be remote.
If you would like to apply, please send your résumé and a cover letter to HR@linkedlearning.org. Indicate the position title in the subject line of the email for the fastest consideration. In your cover letter, please share how your experience, competencies, skills, and interests are a good match for this position.
The Linked Learning Alliance is an equal opportunity employer.
The Alliance is committed to equity, embraces diversity as an asset, and practices inclusivity. These values strengthen our culture, help us fulfill our mission, and contribute to a better world. We are an equal-opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religious beliefs, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.