We're Hiring: Communications Intern
Position: Communications Intern
Reports To: Manager, Communications
Established in May of 2008 and incorporated as an independent 501(c)(3) in July 2015, the Linked Learning Alliance is the engine that drives a movement to help every young person determine their own future through a proven educational approach called Linked Learning. Linked Learning integrates rigorous academics with real-world learning and strong support services to prepare students for success in college, career, and life. The Alliance helps create public will for equity and excellence in education, elevates the practice of Linked Learning across America, and advances policies that serve and support all youth.
In partnership with the Communications Manager, Manager of External Relations, and Vice President of Communications, the Communications Intern will help support short- and long-term projects that support the strategic communications goals and objectives of the Linked Learning Alliance.
We seek an individual who has an interest in education, youth, workforce development, and social justice, and who shares our commitment to justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion. While previous work or education experience in the communications field is welcome, it is not a requirement for this role. We seek to support individuals in developing their professional skills and passions regardless of where they are in their career journey.
- Support day-to-day management in the Alliance’s social media platforms, including Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, and Facebook using the content calendar to draft social media posts
- Develop monthly e-newsletters highlighting Alliance news and relevant stories, events, and announcements from the Linked Learning field and key partners.
- Assist with graphic design and video production
- Track media coverage of the Alliance, its priority issue areas education and workforce development
- Support press contacts list maintenance based on media tracking and coverage.
- Support Alliance events, both virtual and in-person as relevant.
- In collaboration with Alliance team members, develop, project plan, and execute a strategic communications project relevant to Intern interests, skill set, and Alliance’s strategic goals.
- Support Communications team members in researching, drafting, and copyediting written materials that resonate with the Alliance’s target audiences.
- Assist Communications and External Relations Managers with day-to-day execution work, including but not limited to, conducting research, editing documents, taking meeting notes, and coordinating logistics and deliverables.
- Participate in meetings and calls with the Alliance team as needed
The Linked Learning Alliance is committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds. Everyone is encouraged to apply, including women, LGBTQIA people, people of color, and people with disabilities. We strongly encourage any applicant interested in the position to apply if you meet any combination of the following competencies:
- Excellent attention to detail
- Interest in education and youth development issues
- Interest in developing and promoting video content
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Proactive with a strong work ethic
- Ability to work well both independently and as a member of a team
- Ability to work on multiple projects
- Motivated to learn and develop new skills
- Background in communications or marketing
- Experience drafting and scheduling social media posts
- Clear, effective written, verbal, and visual communication
- Seeks continuous learning and growth opportunities
While not required, a candidate may also have the following experiences or competencies:
- Major or minor in communications, marketing, or related field
- Experience working with youth, in a classroom, community, and/or camp setting
- Experience using Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Teams, as well as Adobe
- Ability to work in a language other than English, particularly Spanish, Korean, Arabic, Cambodian, Tagalog, or Hmong
Compensation and Benefits
- This position pays $20/hour.
- Develop a personal professional development plan and receive support from Communications team members in achieving goals
- This position is not eligible for employer-sponsored benefits.
This internship is set to run for the Fall Semester, approximately September 2022-December 2022, with an option to extend the internship based on intern availability, performance, and interest. This position can be part or full time depending on intern availability, with a minimum commitment of 10 hours per week.
This is a remote internship and requires the use of a personal computer. The Linked Learning Alliance team is working remotely due to COVID-19. During non-COVID times, our office is located in San Francisco. The Communications Team primarily works on PST, though some members of our larger team work on EST. We are open to interns outside of PST. Local interns would be welcome to work in the office or remotely should we return to the office.
If you would like to apply, please send your résumé to email@example.com. Indicate the position title in the subject line of the email for the fastest consideration. In the body of your email, please share why you are interested in this internship opportunity, as well as the approximate number of hours you are available to work.
The Linked Learning Alliance is an equal opportunity employer.
The Alliance is committed to equity, embraces diversity as an asset, and practices inclusivity. These values strengthen our culture, help us fulfill our mission, and contribute to a better world. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religious beliefs, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status.