Special Projects Manager, K–12 Education
Position: Special Projects Manager, K–12 Education
Classification: Full Time/Exempt
To download a copy of the job description, click here.
About Linked Learning and the Linked Learning Alliance
Linked Learning is a proven, systemic approach to education based on this simple idea: students work harder and dream bigger if their learning connects with them, and connects them to the world. Young people are introduced to career possibilities in sectors that drive their region’s economy, making education relevant to their passions and inspiring them to graduate from high school with the coursework and skills they need to thrive. By integrating rigorous academics with real-world learning and strong support services, Linked Learning prepares students for success in college, career, and life.
Rigorous independent evaluation conducted over multiple years indicates that Linked Learning makes a difference for young people—improving high school graduation rates, decreasing drop-out rates, and boosting the number of credits earned. These findings have spurred growth of the Linked Learning field, which in California now includes more than 100 participating school districts, collectively serving more than 300,000 students, and its expansion to 19 other states.
The Linked Learning Alliance serves the coalition of educators, employers, and community organizations dedicated to improving the education system and advancing equity and excellence through expanded access to Linked Learning. The Alliance provides a collective voice for this field, advocates for policies that support the Linked Learning approach, sets the quality standard for Linked Learning in practice, and brings diverse stakeholders together to improve outcomes for students.
The Alliance was established in May 2008 and incorporated as an independent 501(c)(3) in July 2015.
The Linked Learning Alliance, an organization dedicated to improving the K–12 education system and advancing equity and excellence through expanded access to high-quality college and career preparation, is seeking a multi-talented and agile professional for the role of Special Projects Manager, K–12 Education. The Special Projects Manager, K–12 Education will work closely with the Linked Learning Alliance team and will assist their daily activities as well as monitor and further general operations of the Alliance.
This position will help support the elevation of the Linked Learning and Alliance brands and support all engagement around the organization’s strategic priorities, which include setting high standards for the implementation of Linked Learning, communicating the value of the Linked Learning approach, advocating for greater support for Linked Learning, and serving as a unified and influential voice for the Linked Learning field. The role will also include administrative functions, particularly related to the Alliance’s efforts to expand high-quality Linked Learning pathways in California and nationwide.
The successful candidate will be a visionary self-starter who can independently make strategic decisions based on objective and fact-based information, generate innovative ideas and solutions, and work in close collaboration with others. They will adeptly juggle several projects at once due to a wide variety of tasks and constantly changing activities. The Special Projects Manager will have responsibilities related to communications, partner engagement and outreach, and project management. Superb interpersonal, collaboration, and communication skills are vital for this role, as good teamwork and partnerships are important for success. Ideal candidates will be flexible, detail-oriented and highly reliable in a fast-paced, innovative environment.
The Special Projects Manager, K–12 Education will work out of the San Francisco office and be a vital member of the Linked Learning Alliance’s growing team. In collaboration with Linked Learning colleagues, this position will help the Alliance activate the strategic vision developed through extensive stakeholder input in 2018. That vision is anchored in achieving equity and excellence for students across the U.S. through high-quality college and career preparation. It focuses on growth of the Linked Learning field, as well as organizational sustainability via expanded applications of Linked Learning in communities and districts throughout the country, government policies that are supportive and aligned to this approach, and public and donor commitment to college and career preparation for all young people.
PARTNER ENGAGEMENT AND OUTREACH RESPONSIBILITIES
- Participate in meetings and calls with and on behalf of the Alliance team as needed
- Collaborate with the field and Alliance colleagues to identify key policy and practice issues, listen carefully to others’ views and opinions, and distill and share field perspective on those issues with external stakeholders
- Conduct outreach to K–12 district and school-level partners to support greater engagement with the Linked Learning Certification platform
- Manage select partner and vendor relationships
- Oversee planning and execution of events and webinars such as legislator and staff briefings, symposia, site visits and conference presentations, including Linked Learning events, including the upcoming Institute.
PROJECT MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead the development of creating and maintaining a project management system
- Oversee project activities including deadlines and deliverables and ensure coordination across functions
- Track on project progress and update Linked Learning colleagues as needed
- Manage special projects and strategic initiatives as identified and needed
- Contribute to strategic plan implementation and completion of grant deliverables for the Linked Learning Alliance
- Represent the Alliance professionally by building strong working relationships and communicating effectively with partner organizations, advisory committees, key leaders, and officials
- Build, manage, and use databases that serve the needs of the emerging organization and advance its role as field driver and central hub
- Produce, design, and compile reports, fact sheets, presentations, briefing books, and other creative materials
- Monitor and manage pathway progression through certification process
- Collaborate on pathway reviews as a member of the certification team
- Coordinate special programs, including reviewing submissions for Linked Learning Certification, which encompasses tracking Silver and Gold submissions, conducting Silver certification reviews, conducting follow up for Silver certification, supporting finance with Silver and Gold invoicing, managing Gold certification reviews (including assigning and tracking evaluators, timelines, etc.)
- Provide a high level of executive assistance to the Alliance’s President and executive leadership, including administrative, logistical, and scheduling support
- Improve and maintain the organization’s internal operations and administrative systems
- Lead the administrative coordination of the organization’s quarterly Board of Directors meetings, including material development, planning and logistical support, and management in advance of and during meetings
- Coordinate Advisory Council, working groups, and other field partner meetings in the Linked Learning Alliance’s evolving governance structures
- Managing the Alliance’s contact management system
- Provide grant and contract support, including managing timelines for submitting proposals and grant reports, managing the proposal process and timelines (including assigning sections, compiling sections, working with Finance on aligned proposal budgets with narrative, ensuring the on-time completion and submission of grant proposals)
- BA or BS in Business, Communications, Public Policy or related field. In lieu of college degree, proven work experience that demonstrates competency in the required skill set
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, solid judgement and decision making
- Effective, detail-oriented, versatile and action-driven
- Strong interpersonal, collaboration and relationship-building skills
- Eloquent and engaging written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to create compelling presentations for a wide variety of audiences
- Experienced project/program manager
- Willingness to learn and a genuine interest in the core work of the Alliance
- Comfort and confidence working in a fast-paced environment and at the forefront of a growing field—including ability to manage multiple priorities and tasks simultaneously, adapt to new inputs or opportunities/needs
- Ability to be agile and develop creative solutions
- Professional experience and demonstrated expertise with conducting many types of presentations for a wide variety of audiences
- A strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- A passion for advancing educational and economic opportunity and a deep commitment to equity and inclusion
- Ability to contribute to a healthy organizational culture through teamwork and collaboration
- Ability to work positively and collaboratively with team members at all levels, leaders and members of other organizations, media representatives, vendors, and visitors
Linked Learning Alliance offers a highly competitive compensation and benefits package.
The position will be located in the Bay Area or Sacramento.
If you would like to apply, please send your résumé and a cover letter to HR@linkedlearning.org. Indicate the position title in the subject line of the email for the fastest consideration. In your cover letter, please share how your experience, competencies, skills, and interests are a good match for this position.
The Linked Learning Alliance is an equal opportunity employer.
The Alliance is committed to equity, embraces diversity as an asset, and practices inclusivity. These values strengthen our culture, help us fulfill our mission, and contribute to a better world. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religious beliefs, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.