We're Hiring: Manager, Events and External Relations
Position: Manager, Events and External Relations
Classification: Full Time/Exempt
The Linked Learning Alliance (Alliance) represents a coalition of educators, employers, and community organizations dedicated to improving the education system and advancing equity and excellence through expanded access to Linked Learning. The Alliance is seeking a creative, multi-talented professional, preferably with experience in education, social justice and/or youth development, for the role of Manager, Events and External Relations.
The Manager, Events and External Relations will play a pivotal role across the Linked Learning Alliance organization, working closely with our leadership, communications and practice teams to help design, coordinate and implement a rapidly expanding menu of virtual engagement activities, including a professional development series, ongoing webinars, workshops, network meetings and, when possible again, large, in-person convenings of the Linked Learning field.
The successful candidate will be a creative, self-starter who can work independently, make strategic decisions based on objective and fact-based information, generate innovative ideas and solutions, and work in close collaboration with others. They will adeptly juggle several projects at once due to a wide variety of tasks and constantly changing activities. The Manager, Events and External Relations will have responsibilities related to communications, partner engagement and outreach, and project management of all virtual and in person external engagement efforts. Superb interpersonal, collaboration, and communication skills are vital for this role. The ability to collaborate cross-functionally across the organization and with external partners to design, plan, manage and execute in-person and virtual workshops, meetings and events is also a critical aspect of this role. Ideal candidates will be flexible, extremely detail-oriented and highly reliable in a fast-paced, innovative environment.
The Manager, Events and External Relations will work virtually and out of the San Francisco office and be a vital member of the Linked Learning Alliance’s growing team. The position will report to the Vice President, Strategic Communications and work in collaboration with Linked Learning colleagues to help the Alliance activate the strategic vision developed through extensive stakeholder input in 2018. That vision is anchored in achieving equity and excellence for students across the U.S. through integrated high-quality college and career preparation. It focuses on growth of the Linked Learning field, as well as organizational sustainability via expanded applications of Linked Learning in communities and districts throughout the country, government policies that are supportive and aligned to this approach, and public and donor commitment to college and career preparation for all young people.
The Manager, Events and External Relations will be responsible for central coordination of the Linked Learning Alliance’s suite of resources and convenings designed to support the field of Linked Learning educators, industry partners, and policymakers ability to advance high-quality practice, effective policies, participate in communities of learning, and network for collective impact:
- Professional Learning Series which presents structured, interactive, multi-day virtual and in-person workshops that delve deep into proven education practices
- Webinars, which are typically 60-minutes long and offered throughout the year, featuring Linked Learning leaders and students that highlight exemplars of practice, policies and partnerships that are inspiring community-wide action
- Linked Learning Networks designed to bring educators together as a community of practice to advance a shared agenda over one or two years, focusing on innovation, scale and research
- Multiday convenings for intensive learning, collaboration, and celebrating the Linked Learning field’s accomplishments
- Virtual and in-person experiential site visits to show Linked Learning in action to educators, industry partners, policymakers, and other key stakeholders
Digital Technology Responsibilities
- Research digital technology options to enhance delivery and maximize engagement among event participants
- Select and implement the most appropriate web conferencing technology for each event
- Be proficient in the virtual event landscape, aware of current trends, vendors and best practices for delivering virtual events
- Provide support during live events (in conjunction with vendors when applicable)
- Quickly troubleshoot and resolve platform issues before, during and after an event
- Maintain list of platform features/enhancements for future consideration and implementation
- Recommend and institute operational changes to increase efficiency and quality related to external events
- Leverage FormAssembly, Salesforce and other event management and registration platforms
Project Management Responsibilities
- Plan, manage, coordinate, and execute all webinar and workshop programs & initiatives
- Give assignments to staff across the organization and ensure tasks are completed in a timely matter
- Develop and manage the annual calendar of virtual and in-person events
- Develop and implement guidelines and protocols for conducting online convenings
- Coordinate scheduling, manage timeline and deliverables with planners and presenters
- Manage registration and follow up for each event
- Develop “Run of Show” for each event to ensure coordination and seamless content delivery
- Act as point person on the day of events to ensure coordination across all actors
- Record sessions and edit audio from virtual events for future promotional use
- Prepare event speakers and presenters to deliver effective and engaging speeches, presentations, etc.
- Develop and distribute feedback surveys, and analyze data to improve future events
- Work closely with external event vendors to coordinate all aspects of events, including budget management
Design and Partner Engagement Responsibilities
- Collaborate with Alliance colleagues and presenters in designing effective, compelling presentations
- Work with subject matter experts and the Alliance’s practice team to develop engaging events
- Collect, compile and synthesize content materials to support presentation format
- Develop event agendas and other materials related to events and meetings that improve the experience for external participants
- Design and develop compelling and stimulating PowerPoint presentations aligned to the Alliance brand
- Provide training for event speakers to design and deliver effective presentations
- Coordinate and facilitate the Alliance’s Alumni Network and drive ongoing engagement with Linked Learning students and alumni through virtual and in-person events and online opportunities
- Work closely with the Alliance communications team to ensure the successful marketing and promotion and delivery of events
- Pursue external speaking opportunities for Alliance staff and leaders from the Linked Learning field to drive awareness of Linked Learning
- Collaborate with Alliance’s practice team and communications teams to develop promotional event content for Linked Learning Alliance and partner organization digital platforms
- Develop benchmark criteria to measure the effectiveness of the external engagement opportunities and implement improvements as needed
- Maintain accurate database and frequent contact with pool of speakers and subject matter experts
- Help develop blogs, knowledge articles and other community building activities related to events
- Edit and proofread deliverables, and work directly with communications team, vendors, consultants and designers to ensure brand alignment and accuracy
- Assist Vice President of Strategic Communications with day-to-day execution of work, including but not limited to conducting research, editing documents, taking meeting notes, updating status reports and coordinating logistics and deliverables
- Update and maintain contacts in Alliance’s e-marketing and CRM systems
- Manage payments for events, including payment processing software
- A Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, business administration, education or other fields from a four-year college or university, or commensurate years of professional experience and demonstrated success
- 2-5 years of experience working on webinars or online education
- Solid design skills and a sound knowledge of all features of Microsoft PowerPoint software and presentation design
- Familiarity with virtual event landscape, especially as it relates to online education
- Excellent writing and editing skills with the ability to communicate clearly and distill and streamline information
- Experience in various communications platforms (including social media, traditional print, digital, and interactive user experience) and how they can be combined and leveraged for marketing and communications strategies
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Canva, Salesforce, FormAssembly, MailChimp, Zoom, Asana, Adobe Photoshop and other Adobe Creative Suite software is a plus
- Willingness to learn and a genuine interest in the core work of the Alliance
- Experience working remotely and with diverse teams
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, solid judgement and problem solving and decision-making skills
- Proven success with large virtual and in-person meetings and events
- Effective, detail-oriented, versatile and action-driven
- Terrific interpersonal, collaboration and relationship-building skills
- Ability to work positively and collaboratively with team members at all levels
- A strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
The Linked Learning Alliance offers a competitive salary and benefits package based on experience.
If you would like to apply, please send your résumé and a cover letter to HR@linkedlearning.org. Indicate the position title in the subject line of the email for the fastest consideration. In your cover letter, please share how your experience, competencies, skills, and interests are a good match for this position.
The Linked Learning Alliance is an equal opportunity employer.
The Alliance is committed to equity, embraces diversity as an asset, and practices inclusivity. These values strengthen our culture, help us fulfill our mission, and contribute to a better world. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religious beliefs, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.